In case you haven’t noticed the matching air temp and humidity in the upper 80s, the dog days of August are here!
Hope you didn’t miss Tax Free Weekend on Aug 4-6.
Charleston is getting national attention for the total Solar Eclipse on Aug 21. (Many law offices are closing for the day as well.) Solar Eclipse events include:
- Eclipse Baseball Game at Joe Riley Park, an
- all day program at the Children’s Museum of the Low Country,
- Citadel Mall is an official NASA viewing location,
- Total Eclipse of the Art at the Gibbes Museum
- View party at MUSC Health Stadium on Daniel Island, and an
- Eclipse party at the Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina.
August also means that schools will be starting back and there are some events with free school supplies.
Here is your Charleston and Low Country August calendar of events:
- 2: Broken Flowers Film Screening, Music Hall
- 4-6: SC Tax Free Weekend
- 4: Reggae Concert Series, James Island County Park
- 9-13: Cirque du Soleil OVO, N Chas Coliseum
- 9: Mary Chapin Carpenter, Music Hall
- 10: David Feherty, Music Hall
- 11-12: Hootie and the Blowfish Homegrown Tour, Volvo Car Stadium
- 12: Berkeley Goes Back to School Festival, 418 Main St Moncks Corner
- 12: Shaggin’ on the Cooper, Mt Pleasant Pier
- 13: City of Charleston First Day Festival, Liberty Square
- 13: Sprint Triathlon, James Island County Park
- 18: Moonlight Mixer, Folly Pier
- 20: Life Aquatic Film Screening, Music Hall
- 21: Solar Eclipse
- 22: Tony Bennett, Gaillard
- 26: 18th Annual Race for the ARK, Summerville
- 30: The Second City Cure for the Common Comedy, Music Hall
- Sept 1-3: Low Country Jazz Festival, N Chas PAC
Travel and Leisure Magazine named Charleston as the best city in the US for the fifth consecutive year and they also named us the 2nd best city in the World.Southern Living magazine named Charleston the #1 Best City in the South. Food and Wine magazine included Charleston in their list of the Top 10 Most Exciting Food Cities in the World.
In business news Volvo and Mercedes plants moving in have begun to have a ripple effect here. IFA, a German Automotive supplier, plans to expand by adding a new 234,000 square foot plant in Berkeley County(+120 jobs.) The company presently makes about 2 million drive shafts a year at its Ladson facility. Knapheide is building a 75,000 square foot facility (+63 jobs) in Charleston County to provide and install van interiors and bodies for the Mercedes plant located down the road.T-Mobile will renovate the abandoned Rivers Ave Kmart store in N Chas to create the largest call center for the carrier adding 400 new jobs.
Of course, with all this going on, the real estate market continues to move forward nicely.Year to date, transactions are up 7.7% over the same time period from 2016.2017 will likely be the busiest year in Charleston history. We may sell over 18k units. Median sales price is up a modest and sustainable 3.9%. Median sales price is at an all time high of $253k. However, according to our regression analysis of prices back to 1991, we are still undervalued.We should have a median price of about $270k right now. Mt Pleasant continues to be a very attractive area with median prices in the $225/sqft range.However, Park Circle in N Charleston and Hanahan and Daniel Island have become hot spots for Boeing employees.And now Summerville and Goose Creek are seeing a boom with the coming of Volvo.
Make it a great month!
Matthew & Amy Ledford
(Market Data analysis courtesy of Charleston Trident MLS and Doug Holmes.)